Mount Vernon Public Library Foundation
The Mount Vernon Public Library Foundation, Inc. is the philanthropic arm of the Mount Vernon Public Library. The Foundation, which was incorporated in 2004, is committed to celebrating literacy and forging the path to the revitalization and expansion of the Mount Vernon Public Library. 2008 was the Foundation’s first gala, which raised $20,000 towards the rejuvenation of the Children’s Department. The Foundation’s campaign in 2009 will continue to focus on youth. The proceeds of the 2009 gala will go towards the development of a literacy and technology room to meet the needs of our teens.
Learn more about the Mount Vernon Public Library Foundation and become a donor.
Friends of the Mount Vernon Public Library
The Friends of the Mount Vernon Public Library was founded in 1986 and incorporated in January 1992. The Friends is a non-profit, volunteer organization whose purpose is to promote the Library as a resource for educational, cultural and recreational activities in our community. We draw public attention to the Library's services, facilities and needs.
What we do:
- Fund library equipment purchases
- Sponsor children's programs and workshops
- Sponsor adult cultural events.
- Underwrite hospitality at special events
- Organize and operate book sales
- Support staff recognition and education
- Support the library literacy tutor training program
To inquire about membership in the Friends please call (914) 668-1840.
Dues are tax deductible. The Library is eligible for most matching gift programs.
The Mount Vernon Public Library welcomes cash contributions, gifts of real property, stocks, and bonds. All donations are subject to the approval of the Library Director with final acceptance granted by the Library Board of Trustees.
Here are some examples of items that may be purchased at various gift levels (although they may not be the specific item purchased with your gift):
$25.00 - Arts & Crafts Supplies for one Children’s Program
$50.00 - New Audio Books for the Adult Collection
$100.00 - One Digital Camera for Teen Photography Workshops
$250.00 - Career Opportunities for Young People DVD Collection
$300.00 - The Spot- Young Adult Service and general collection
$500.00 - Two Summer Reading Club Performances by Guest Artists
$500.00 –Local history preservation and collection
$750.00 - One Laptop Computer for our new Teen Center
$1,000.00 - One flat file case and archive-quality storage boxes for the Local History Room
$1,000.00 - Legal services and Mills Law Collection
$2,000.00 - One Presentation by a Noted Writer
Let us know if your employer matches your contribution, which doubles the value of your gift!
To maximize your charitable giving as well as fulfill your own financial needs, you can create your legacy to the Mount Vernon Public Library. Making a gift through your estate is one of the most effective ways to ensure that the Library carries on its mission for years to come.
- Gifts through your will or living trust. You can arrange a gift of a specific amount, a percentage of your estate, or even all or part of the residuary of your estate.
- Gifts through life insurance, retirement plan or IRA beneficiary designations. Naming the Mount Vernon Public Library as the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, retirement plan or IRA is a simple and smart way to provide for the Library.
- Gifts of real estate or other appreciated assets. Real estate can make the ideal gift to the Mount Vernon Public Library. By using real estate, some people are able to make a significant gift to the Library that otherwise would not have been possible. Long-term, appreciated stocks and securities are almost always an excellent way to provide financial support. If you make a gift of appreciated securities, you can avoid paying capital gains taxes as well as claim a charitable income tax deduction
- Charitable Trusts are popular plans to benefit the Mount Vernon Public Library because of the financial and estate planning flexibility they offer.
Contact an estate planning lawyer for assistance with including the Mount Vernon Public Library in your planned giving arrangement.
A great way to support your Library and clean up your home or office bookshelves is to donate your used materials to the Mount Vernon Public Library. Library staff will review your donations to see whether there are copies of books we need to add to the collection. The Friends will re-sell your donations at their semi-annual Book Sales. Proceeds from the sales help sponsor Library projects and activities not covered by the Library’s operating budget. Book donations are accepted each year beginning in March for the Spring Book Sale.
Volunteers are important partners in the work of the Library. To learn more about volunteer opportunities please contact our Community Services Coordinator at (914) 668-1840 ext. 223.