28 South First Avenue Mount Vernon, New York 10550 (914) 668-1840
- Interest in the library
- Eager to help support and enhance library services
- Need to complete a community service requirement for school
- Interested in a career in Library and Information Science
- Enjoy the satisfaction of helping others
- Acquire new skills
What does it mean to be a Volunteer?
Becoming a volunteer at the Mount Vernon Public Library connects you with the world of literacy, cultural diversity, and learning. Library volunteers play an important role in connecting people with ideas and information.
Is volunteering at the Library for you?
- To be a volunteer, applicants are asked for a six month commitment. Volunteers should be available at least two hours per week.
- Most volunteer assignments require some physical ability: pushing, pulling, bending, stretching, kneeling, and/or squatting. Some heavy lifting (up to 30 lbs.) and standing are required for most positions.
- Before filling out an application, carefully review the requirements and qualifications for each assignment choice. Choose the position that best meets your needs.
- Volunteering at the Library requires that you interact with patrons and staff members in a respectful and civil manner. You are expected to perform the job courteously, pleasantly, and efficiently.
- Abide by the Library policies.
- Record your volunteer hours on the volunteer attendance sheet.
- Wear a volunteer name tag.
Please answer the following questions:
- Can I commit to volunteer once a week for six months?
- Can I be dependable and professional while representing the Library?
If you can answer yes to these questions, volunteering at the Library is for you!
What kind of volunteer positions are generally available?
After-School Homework Helper
Assist children in grades 1-8 with homework assignments on weekday afternoons (except for the months of July and August). Must be 16 years or older.
Greet and direct library patrons in the Library's Main room. Must be 18 years or older.
Computer Coach & LAB Assistants
Assist patrons using computers and other technology. Must be 14 years or older.
Customer Service Aide
Assist patrons at the Circulation Desk.
ESOL Conversation Group Leader
Lead conversational groups for adults learning to speak English. Must be 18 years or older.
Monitor students during exams being given in the library. Must be 18 years or older.
Be responsible for organizing shelves so that all materials are in alpha-numerical order. Must be 18 years or older.
Read aloud to groups of children, parents, and caregivers in children's room. Must be 18 years or older.
Library Program's Volunteer
If you're a volunteer, you can help librarians with youth programs. Must be 12-18 years old.
Print and mail the application Volunteer Application form (PDF) to:
Mount Vernon Public Library
28 South First Avenue
Mount Vernon, New York 10550
Fill out the ONLINE FORM HERE
We will review your application, and if there are any possible matches with currently available volunteer opportunities, we will invite you to attend an information session and interview.
Help people practice English-speaking skills by leading small ESOL conversational groups.
- Select appropriate sources and materials for discussion.
- Lead small conversational groups at the library, providing direction and facilitating focus on selected topics for discussion.
- Conduct educational or interactive exercises with individuals and/or groups.
- Promote the use of library resources by referring students to specialists at the Library, when appropriate.
- Take attendance, reporting the total number of participants to the site supervisor after each shift.
- A strong commitment to helping people learn to speak English.
- A friendly and approachable manner.
- Ability to get along with a diverse group of people.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to make a commitment of one two-hour shift per week, for a period of at least ten weeks.
Please mail application to below address:
LITERACY VOLUNTEERS OF WESTCHESTER / ROCKLAND COUNTIES
P.O. BOX 693
YONKERS NY 10702
Apply for a Literacy Volunteer position
Literacy Volunteers Application Form(pdf)