28 South First Avenue Mount Vernon, New York 10550 (914) 668-1840
Library History 1854 - 2014: 160 years of Service.
1904 - Present The Mount Vernon Public Library was chartered by the State of New York in March, 1896. Andrew Carnegie, the retired steel tycoon and benefactor of libraries, donated $50,000 in 1904 for the construction of the building. The library, a neoclassical revival style building, was designed by Edward L. Tilton, a noted architect in the design of libraries.
The Westchester Women's Club played a strong advocacy role in the establishment of the Children's Department. New additions were made to the Library in 1909 and 1925. The first was financed by another Carnegie gift of $20,000, and the second by a school bond issue of $125,000.
In 1929, another school bond issue of $125,000 was voted to purchase adjacent property to provide room for expansion. In the late 1930's a building program was undertaken that shaped the Library as we know it today. Ground was broken in 1937 for the third addition to the building, a new South wing. Work was completed in 1938.
In 1958, the library became the Central Library of the newly formed Westchester Library System. It is the largest Library in Westchester County and the sixth largest in New York State. Starting with about 5,000 books in 1896, the Library's collection now houses more than 500,000 volumes, and subscribes to approximately 800 current magazines, journals, and newspapers.