28 South First Avenue Mount Vernon, New York 10550 (914) 668-1840
Local History Room
Closed until further Notice
The Mount Vernon Public Library Virginia McClellan Moskowitz Local History Room is the primary archival and research center for Mount Vernon History as well as one of the major historical collections of Westchester County.
Among its resources are:
- Maps and atlases, including road, topography, farm, development and zoning maps dating back to the mid-1800's.
- Clipping files detailing the economic, political, social, and cultural developments of Mount Vernon dating back to 1904.
- Ethnic collections on Italians, Jews, and African-Americans in Mount Vernon.
- Newspapers, including bound volumes from the 19th century.
- Old photographs, post cards, posters, paintings, and engravings.
- Church and synagogue files.
- City directories dating back to 1885, and telephone books dating back to 1933.
- School yearbooks.
- Information on individual houses.
- Artifacts and mementos.
- Genealogy and family history files.
- City government reports.
Use of the Local History Room is available during hours listed below only. Please call (914) 668-1840 ext. 227 for further information.